Skip to main content

Chasing Coral

    A specific scene that stood out to me was the part when the corals unusually started glowing neon. No one knew why this was happening at first, but they found that the corals did this in order to protect themselves from climate change. The bright colors reflect the light, reducing the heat that the corals absorb. This is fascinating but also very sad because they are only doing this because they are so close to dying. Turning neon is their last stand against the rising temperature of their habitat.

Coral Reef Protection and Restoration | Commonwealth

   It surprised me that coral are considered animals, not plants. And they are also very very big. I thought corals were tiny things living together, but they are very big in reality. Corals are made up of thousands of things called polyps and they all have mouths and stomachs just like animals. They also coexist with plants that live on top of them. These plant cells make food that the corals can eat. Another thing that surprised me was the fact that parrotfish eat coral, and poop out sand. I don’t think this is the only way sand is made, but I never thought that part of our beaches came from fish poop.

   After finishing the documentary, I understand more about coral and climate change in general. I now know that corals are living animals, not plants. I also understand how much climate change is affecting them. Now knowing about the role of coral on our planet, I have another reason to fight against climate change. Before, I knew that plants and animals were affected by climate change, but I didn’t know such a huge part of the entire Earth's ecosystem was at such a risk. I thought the biggest issue was sea levels rising. This has made me more committed to changing the little things that I do, in order to do my part in the fight against climate change.

   We should avoid doing research because we could develop an idea of the documentary that’s not accurate. This is because our interpretation will be based on someone else’s interpretation. We should stick to the source by only taking notes on the documentary. If we do research, we may also add too much unnecessary information. Our summaries shouldn’t be too long, so we should only summarize what is seen in the doc and what is absolutely necessary.

Casing Coral Link

Chasing Coral (2017) - IMDb

Comments

  1. Really interesting that corals are classified as animals, I'm hearing that for the first time. It's truly terrible that we are causing the destruction of one of the most beautiful ecosystems on earth. Healthy prosperous coral reefs are vital to our planet, and we all need to do more to save them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney Park
    It is a very cool fact that corals turn neon to protect themselves from climate change; I honestly thought that corals were just naturally neon. I also didn't know that corals are animals! That is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of cool facts in this blog. I have a climate change class that I'm taking right now and we talk about so many things that climate change affects. I think we might have mentioned something about coral in one of our units.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never considered that coral were animals at all. At first glace I always thought that they were just plants. It's quite unfortunate that lots of coral are dying and there is not anything that I could do right now. I always wanted to see all of the worlds wonders and nature's beauty. Now my bucket list has one less goal with climate change killing coral.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Naps Are Good

 In class today, I spent a lot of time doing research and developed a thesis for my rational argument essay. I decided to to only focus on the benefits of naps, rather than discussing any controversy. My thesis states: Contrary to what many people think, naps can be very beneficial if done the right way.  I decided to only focus on the positive side of naps after having a long conversation with Dr. Kyburz. While talking, I discovered that I really enjoy naps. I take a nap almost every day, and they are usually good. Because of this, it will be much easier to argue for the benefits of napping rather than arguing both sides.  My argument will be much more genuine, making it more enjoyable to write and read. I will also be able to get deeper into the topic because I'm only arguing one side. For each source I quote, I will have a deep dive into how in contributes to my thesis. I will also discuss some challenges with naps, but I'll write about them as challenges to overcome in orde

Credible Sources

 During our CARD class yesterday, we went to the library for a presentation. We learned where we can find sources, which ones we should use, and how to cite them. After this class period, I felt a lot better about choosing which sources I should use for my final essay. The essay is due in December, but in order to have a well structured and in-depth paper, I need to start finding credible sources now. Our first option for sources is provided by the North Central library. All students can go to the library website ( here ) and find a menu offering multiple options for research. From that menu, we can search for journals, articles, books, and other references. There are thousands of sources already available, but if we can't find what we need for our topic, we can request more sources. This will be extremely helpful for my essay.  When choosing a source, it's important to determine which ones are credible. Credible sources need to come from a trustworthy study. Studies that we ca