Skip to main content

Microtheme

    Before class a couple weeks ago, I had never heard of a microtheme. According to wikipedia, "A microtheme is a short essay. Often an exercise unto itself, it can also be used in writing courses to incrementally build up toward a larger paper". I hope this isn't building up to something much bigger because I struggled with one page as it is. 

    In our microtheme, we are supposed to problematize without solving the problem or even offering some possible solutions. We are not supposed to ask more than one question or use any definitive statements or words. This was hard for me because I immediately try to think about the solution as soon I have a problem. It's hard to address a problem and sit with it. However, once I finally started to understand the meaning of a microtheme, my perspective changed and I learned how to write differently.

    Writing my microtheme also taught me how to stay diligent while making revisions. In the past I've always liked to write essays with only one or two drafts, making it as perfect as I could on the first try. This has worked, but it makes it hard to let go and make a lot of changes when I need to. During the process of writing my microtheme, I made four or five drafts. This is because I had to get rid of three or four sentences at a time after getting feedback from Dr. Kyburz. I also had to change my choice of words throughout the whole essay multiple times. Luckily, this essay was only one page, so this was manageable. However, I feel like it has also helped me develop my ability to revise for essays of all lengths.

Microtheme-Wiki

77,047 Confused Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kman

      Since I started class at NCC, I've been eating at Kaufman dining hall (also known as Kman) for every 3 out 4 meals. Although its only been 4 weeks, I've learned about the many advantages and disadvantages of eating at there.     To start with the benefits, Kman is close to Seager residence hall, where I currently live. This allows me to quickly get food when I'm in a rush. All my meals are already paid for at Kman as well. I have 17 swipes per week but the majority of the time, I only eat there twice a day. I can however eat as much as I want each time I swipe. Due to this fact, the CPD at Kman is basically infinite. CPD stands for "calories per dollar". The service at Kman is also a postive. The staff always asks how I'm doing and tells me to enjoy my day. When it comes to the food, Kman might be considered mid. Some positives, however, would be the cereal station which is open 24/7, the cantaloupe and honeydew which is always available, and the dess...

Chasing Coral

    A specific scene that stood out to me was the part when the corals unusually started glowing neon. No one knew why this was happening at first, but they found that the corals did this in order to protect themselves from climate change. The bright colors reflect the light, reducing the heat that the corals absorb. This is fascinating but also very sad because they are only doing this because they are so close to dying. Turning neon is their last stand against the rising temperature of their habitat.    It surprised me that coral are considered animals, not plants. And they are also very very big. I thought corals were tiny things living together, but they are very big in reality. Corals are made up of thousands of things called polyps and they all have mouths and stomachs just like animals. They also coexist with plants that live on top of them. These plant cells make food that the corals can eat. Another thing that surprised me was the fact that parrotfish e...

Getting a Haircut

     Contrary to the title of this blog, I am not getting a haircut. This is due to the many bad haircuts that I've had in the past. 99% of these bad haircuts happened when I went to a new barber. Since my last bad haircut, I've learned my lesson. As of right now, I have decided to not go to any barber but my own in my hometown.       However, because I'm so far from home, it's been over 3 months since I've had a haircut. This leads me to ask the questions: How much longer can I wait? At what point does the bad shaggy look of my hair outweigh the risk of a bad haircut? Other factors need to be considered.       First of all, this is college. I'm focused on school and wrestling. I'm not really trying to impress anyone. Does that fact contribute to the haircut or no haircut argument? I'm not sure. Secondly, it will be beanie and hoodie weather soon. A beanie will completely cover my head, whether my hair is long or not. Finally, how w...