Skip to main content

Naps?

I haven’t always been a napper, but since this semester started, I’ve taken my fair share of naps. Some days, I don’t nap at all. Other days, I’ve napped twice. I especially feel the need to nap after waking up early or working out. I’ve tried to stop taking naps entirely because of how time consuming they are, but then feel like I’m wasting time due to my lack of energy and effort, no matter how much coffee I drink. In my experience, I’ve found that naps can be beneficial, however, it depends how long they are. Like many things, I think the dose determines the damage. Sometimes, I wake up from a nap feeling even more tired than I was before and now with an entire hour of my day wasted. In order to better optimize my naps, I did some research.

I started by reading an article by the myoclinic. According to the article, naps can offer relaxation, reduced fatigue, increased alertness, improved mood, and improved performance, including quicker reaction time and better memory. However, it also lists negative effects, such as sleep inertia and insomnia or poor sleep at night. Sleep inertia is the groggy and disoriented feeling you may feel after a nap, and if you nap too long, you may not sleep as well at night, which is much more important than sleep during the day. In order to avoid these effects, myoclinic advises us to keep naps short. This means 10-20 minutes. This seemed too short to me, but I learned that shorter naps ensure that we stay in light sleep rather than deep or REM sleep. Light sleep helps us rest physically, but does not start dreams or the cleanup process in our brains. Staying in light sleep helps us feel refreshed without the groggy feeling. 10-20 minutes is also less time consuming than longer naps.

After doing some research, I’ve learned to keep my naps around 15-30 minutes in order to be most efficient. This will help me save time and hopefully keep me from feeling disoriented afterwards. In order to test this theory, I will set a timer for all of my naps, no matter how tired I am or how much free time I have. A reflection post may be coming next week.

Napping: Do's and Don'ts






Comments

  1. I also heard about something about that on naps. Taking a nap for around 20 minutes allows you to feel refreshed. However, naps that are around 60-90 minutes are bad because that's when your body goes into the deep stages of REM sleep. I am eager to see the results of your experiment because I know it can help many people like me who may need naps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting a Haircut

     Contrary to the title of this blog, I am not getting a haircut. This is due to the many bad haircuts that I've had in the past. 99% of these bad haircuts happened when I went to a new barber. Since my last bad haircut, I've learned my lesson. As of right now, I have decided to not go to any barber but my own in my hometown.       However, because I'm so far from home, it's been over 3 months since I've had a haircut. This leads me to ask the questions: How much longer can I wait? At what point does the bad shaggy look of my hair outweigh the risk of a bad haircut? Other factors need to be considered.       First of all, this is college. I'm focused on school and wrestling. I'm not really trying to impress anyone. Does that fact contribute to the haircut or no haircut argument? I'm not sure. Secondly, it will be beanie and hoodie weather soon. A beanie will completely cover my head, whether my hair is long or not. Finally, how w...

Kman

      Since I started class at NCC, I've been eating at Kaufman dining hall (also known as Kman) for every 3 out 4 meals. Although its only been 4 weeks, I've learned about the many advantages and disadvantages of eating at there.     To start with the benefits, Kman is close to Seager residence hall, where I currently live. This allows me to quickly get food when I'm in a rush. All my meals are already paid for at Kman as well. I have 17 swipes per week but the majority of the time, I only eat there twice a day. I can however eat as much as I want each time I swipe. Due to this fact, the CPD at Kman is basically infinite. CPD stands for "calories per dollar". The service at Kman is also a postive. The staff always asks how I'm doing and tells me to enjoy my day. When it comes to the food, Kman might be considered mid. Some positives, however, would be the cereal station which is open 24/7, the cantaloupe and honeydew which is always available, and the dess...

Chasing Coral

    A specific scene that stood out to me was the part when the corals unusually started glowing neon. No one knew why this was happening at first, but they found that the corals did this in order to protect themselves from climate change. The bright colors reflect the light, reducing the heat that the corals absorb. This is fascinating but also very sad because they are only doing this because they are so close to dying. Turning neon is their last stand against the rising temperature of their habitat.    It surprised me that coral are considered animals, not plants. And they are also very very big. I thought corals were tiny things living together, but they are very big in reality. Corals are made up of thousands of things called polyps and they all have mouths and stomachs just like animals. They also coexist with plants that live on top of them. These plant cells make food that the corals can eat. Another thing that surprised me was the fact that parrotfish e...